Tuesday 10 May 2011

Busy Bee...

I had one of those days on Sunday where I was able to crack on and achieve some finished projects!!!
They don't happen very often but when they do they are just fab!!!

Firstly, we have had these Ikea drawer units for ages, they have been used to store pens, pencils and crafting bits for the kids and had lots of pens marks etc on them, so I gave them a coat of cream paint (I just used whatever I had in the shed which happened to be some garden shades paint) and added some shabby chic decoupage papers that I had picked up when I bought a crafting magazine.
I always find it a bit daunting at first knowing where to place the papers as initially I had this idea that I would cover the front of the drawers completely but the papers had other ideas so there was lots of cutting and glueing!!

I'm quite pleased with how they came out and am hoping that they will look good in Rachel's room and that they keep the unruly pile of homework/school books tidy!!!

I also completed another make for Rachel on Sunday, she has been pestering me to make a short jumpsuit, I had an old pattern cover for one but couldn't find the pattern pieces anywhere, so using another shorts patterns as a guide I made a new pattern for the jumpsuit. I quickly made up a mock suit in some old fabric and I'm so glad I did as I needed to make the bust line wider and the legs shorter. Once I had the measurements about right I cut I the fabric that Rachel had chosen (I have had this fabric for about 10 years hand had initially bought it to make Rachel some summer dresses when she was small!!! at least it's being used now!!)
With no pattern as such and without any instructions for placing the waist elastic it was a case of putting the jumpsuit on and marking where it needed to go, this probably worked out better as Rachel has quite a high waistline. I used a length of bias binding as the casing for the elastic and since taking this photo I have added some elasticated straps too.
Rachel seems more than pleased with it as she wore it last night to a choir rehearsal with a cardigan over and a pair of flat pumps.
I'd forgotten how rewarding dressmaking is and how good it is to finish a project!!! must get cracking now on all those work in progresses!!!


I also thought I'd show you a picture of the plastic bag holder that I made and talked about here
I was thinking of putting these in my on-line shops - what do you think?? I also have this fabric in a pink and turquoise colourway.

Inspiration
Sue from Vintage from the Village mentioned that she was selling some books and patterns etc over on Ebay so I popped over to take a look and found this book on handbags, it has some great patterns and ideas so hopefully will give me a bit of inspiration to get creating...
Thanks Sue for a great book.

Finally I just wanted to show you what my friend Ruth and I are going to start tonight at our Tuesday Night Sew In, I know many of you have already found Pinterest but if you haven't then take a look it's full of lots of beautiful ideas, picture, themes etc. Ruth found this great little cushion over there

 and tonight we are making hexies!!! I can see sore fingers coming on...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Wow! looks like you have been very busy and creative! You have done some gorgeous makes! The playsuit is very cute and the drawers are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawers and the fabric you used for the playsuit is lovely!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy, I love all your makes.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drawer unit looks great and the jumpsuit looks lovely too! Have fun making the hexies! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an industrious time you have been having!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the fabric you have used for the plastic bag holder. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on my blog and I will try to answer as many as I can. thanks Tracy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...