Friday 6 May 2011

May Day at Audley End House

I don't know about you but all these bank holidays have throw me right out of sync!!! I'm not sure what day of the week it is, although I do seem to have blinked and "poof" another week has gone by!!!
I've tried to make use of some of the time that Tompom has been at nursery, although having Paul at home too seems to make for too many "manana" days. I have managed to do a bit of a tidy up in my workshop so I hoping that next week I may even get some sewing time.
Anyhow back to this week, on May Day we drove over to Audley End House, which is not far from Saffron Walden and part of English Heritage, we have a family membership which is great as we can have great days out for free (well after you've paid your membership but after two trips to Audley End as a family they are all free!).

The May Day event was a Victorian Day with lots of fun activities for the kids...

The Falconry Display was fantastic and Jack went back to watch the second performance too! 
There was music from the Essex Yeomanry Band
Victorian garden games, although I think that Jack should have been a little further away...

Rachel played Guy of Gisbourne in a very funny adaptation of Robing Hood!

 

There was lots of beautiful architecture and gardens to explore

 

And the Huntsman and Hounds led by Lord Braybrooke (whose family originally owned the house) gave a superb display



and enjoyed a well earned drink from the river.
 

All the dogs were extremely friendly


 and we had the chance to find out more about them back at the stables, like the fact that they only use the girls for displays as the boys have a tendency to cock their legs and wee on all and sundry!!! Eurggh!!!
 

Paul and I are hoping that we can pop back on a school day when we are child free and have a lovely wander around the main house, which is something we haven't quite managed to do on our previous visits!!!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I haven't been for ages but it's a beatiful place. I've been in the house and it is magnificent inside. Well it was last time we visted which was probably 7yrs ago now. Wow where does time go?
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a lovely place to visit. I would just like to thank you again for the lovely book giveaway.... A winters wedding. I treated myself and stayed in bed to finish it off this morning, well 4 hours actually. It was lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely place and what a fun day for you all! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing day out! Your photos are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg! I am originally from Saffron Walden. I have to say I really miss the place! My parents still live there though! I love going to Audley End, it's so beautiful! Looks like you had a lovely day out!

    C x

    p.s. I am new to blogging and would love to have a few more followers and any tips/advice people could give would also be great! :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on my blog and I will try to answer as many as I can. thanks Tracy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...